|Resources||Papers/Articles||News about P2P|
- OpenP2P: P2P portal sponsored by O’Reilly & Associates
- PEERIntelligence A knowledge hub for applying P2P technologies to business
- Peertal Clearinghouse of P2P news and information
- P2P Pages by wired.com
- Peer-To-Peer (P2P) a collection of articles by compnetworking.about.com
- The P2P Idea Page by exocortex.org, articles & papers.
- O’Reilly Peer-to-Peer Dev Center A resource for commercial developers of P2P applications.
- Global Grid Forum(GGF)
- Sun’s JXTA initiative site : Project JXTA is an open source effort, with a vision to enable developers to create innovative services and applications. Project JXTA addresses the need for an open, generalized protocol that interoperates with any peer on the network including PCs, servers and other connected devices.
- cryptobox : Cryptobox is a security and anonymity layer which can be interfaced with any application which needs to communicate securely.
- Freenet Project : Freenet is a large-scale peer-to-peer network which pools the power of member computers around the world to create a massive virtual information store open to anyone to freely publish or view information of all kinds.
- PtPWG : Peer-to-Peer Working Group, a consortium for advancement of infrastructure standards for peer-to-peer computing.
- The Peer-to-Peer Trusted Library : a set of APIs and sample applications that support peer authentication, secure storage, encryption and digital signatures, which Intel has made freely available to developers.
- The OceanStore Project by UC Berkeley Computer Science Division
- OceanStore: An Architecture for Global-Scale Persistent Storage, John Kubiatowicz et al, ASPLOS 2000 (local copy, presentation).
- Farsite File System – Federated, Available, and Reliable Storage for an Incompletely Trusted Environment, Microsoft Research, Systems and Networking Research Group.
- Feasibility of a Serverless Distributed File System Deployed on an Existing Set of Desktop PCs, William J. Bolosky et al, ACM SIGMETRICS 2000 (local copy).
- Intel’s P2P page
- IBM Advanced Peer-to-Peer Networking (APPN)
- Cisco-Advanced Peer-to-Peer Networking (APPN)
[Distributed File Sharing Networks]
- Clip2 DSS Reports and technical specifications of the Gnutella protocol and the history of its network
- GnutellaWorld GnutellaWorld Network over 20 countries
- GnutellaNews daily information on file-sharing applications
- Gnutelliums a comprehensive directory of Gnutella downloads/clients for Windows, Linux/Unix, Java, and Macintosh
- GnutellaWego Gnutella portal.
- GnutellaDev An information site for Gnutella developers.
- Gnutellang The currently silent Gnutella Next Generation (gPulp) working group.
- ZeroPaid portal providing updated news on file-sharing applications
- Napster online community of music lovers
- Groove Networks
- The Freenet Project
[Distributed Processing Programs]
- Popular Power
- Global Grid Forum A community-initiated forum of individual researchers and practitioners working on distributed computing, or “grid” technologies
- Peer-to-Peer Networking Freeware Tools by WebAttack.com
Papers and Articles
- Best Practices – Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Applications, Packeteer, September 2003. (local copy).
- Understanding Instant Messaging (IM) and its security risks, Sujata Chavan, SANS Reading Room, August 25, 2003. (local copy).
- Business Case: Betting the Farm on Instant Messaging, Jim Carr, NetworkMagazine, August 05, 2003.
- Instant Messaging In The Enterprise, Michael D. Osterman, Business Communication Review, January 2003. (local copy).
- Message Security and Policy Technology Imperatives in the Wake of World Events, Mirapoint, January 2003. (local copy).
- Improving File Sharing Security: A Standards Based Approach, Xythos Software Inc., January 2, 2003. (local copy).
- Security And Peer-To-Peer Applications, David Piscitello, BCR, October 2002. (local copy).
- A Content-Centric Distribution Strategy: The Secure, Mediated Peer-to-Peer Content Delivery Network as Best Value for Rich Downloadable Content and On-Demand Streaming, CenterSpan Communications Corp., September 20, 2002. (local copy).
- Peer-to-peer technology: A technology reborn, Auerbach Analysis, July 25, 2002.
- Peer-to-Peer File Sharing: The Effects of File Sharing on a Service Provider’s Network, Sandvine Incorporated, July 1, 2002. (local copy).
- Usability and privacy: a study of Kazaa P2P file-sharing, Nathaniel S. Good and Aaron Krekelberg, June 2002. (local copy).
- Unleashing the power of P2P, A. K. Vanwasi, Networkmagazineindia, April 2002.
- P2P Taps the Enterprise, Sean Doherty, NetworkComputing, March 18, 2002. (local copy).
- Peer-To-Peer Networking Security, LinuxBox, February 09, 2002.
- Emerging Technology: Peer-To-Peer Networking Security, Michael Hurwicz, Network Magazine, February 2002.
- Emerging Technology for Intelligent Distributed Information Access, Xythos Software, February 202. (local copy).
- Stretching the Fabric of the Net: Examining the Present and Potential of Peer-to-Peer Technologies, Software & Information Industry Association, White paper, 2001. (local copy).
- A Net of Their Own, Business Week online special report, August 1, 2001.
- Security fears are barrier for P2P networking take-off, John Leyden, The Register, July 31, 2001.
- Feature: Peer-to-peer potential, Susan Breidenbach, Network World, July 09, 2001.
- PP2P: Massively Distributed Microcrime?, Nick Jones, Gartner, July 09, 2001.
- Report: P2P Movement Picking Up Steam, Tim McDonald, News Factor, July 02, 2001.
- 네트워크 컴퓨팅의 새로운 패러다임, P2P, on the NET, June 2001.
- Power To The PC, Aaron Ricadela, PlanetIT, January 18, 2001.
- Peer-To-Peer Potpourri: Something For Everyone, Jason Levitt, InformationWeek, December 4, 2000.
- In The Groove – Even in its beta state, Groove is a slick, functional and powerful tool, Stephen Swoyer, PlanetIT, December 4, 2000.
- Peer-To-Peer Has An Enterprise Twist, Cheryl Currid, PlanetIT, December 13, 2000.
- New Life For Peer-To-Peer Computing, Andy Patrizio , InformationWeek, November 20, 2000.
- Peer-To-Peer Is The Wild Card In PC Debate, Antone Gonsalves, PlanetIT, November 15, 2000.
- Peer-to-peer makes the Internet interesting, Andy Oram, O’Reilly Network, August 25, 2000.
- Intel Peers Into The Future, Mark Hachman, PlanetIT, 09/22/2000.
- The Power Of Peer-To-Peer, Paul McDougall, PlanetIT, August 28, 2000.
- Peer-To-Peer Pressure – How New Networking Trend is Flourishing, Jason Levitt, PlanetIT, May 15, 2000.
- Peer-To-Peer Anarchy: The Next Big Thing?, Jason Levitt, InformationWeek, May 15, 2000.
- Plugging the Communications Time Drain, Sean Doherty, NetworkComputing, February 20, 2003. (local copy).
– Come and Get It, Sean Doherty, NetworkComputing, February 20, 2003. (local copy).
- Peer Pressure : P2P makes a corporate play, ZDnet, May 6, 2002.
– Enterprise P2P: Flexibility and ROI, Christine Axton
– Fast growth forecast for enterprise P2P, Jarad Carleton
– Enterprise P2P: A solution looking for a problem, Lee Schlesinger
– Enterprise P2P platforms,
- What Is P2P, Really?, compnetworking.about.com
- How Napster Works, compnetworking.about.com
- Why P2P will take big biz by storm, ZDNet, April 17, 2001.
- Get Into “Groove” – Groove technical overview, compnetworking.about.com
- Peer Review, Cheryl Currid, WebTechniques, December 2000.
- An Introduction to Peer-to-Peer Computing, David Barkai, Intel Developer Update magazine, February 2001 (local copy).
- Understanding peer-to-peer networking and file-sharing – A Brief History of peer-to-peer File-Sharing, Lime wire article.
- Gnutella & Napster – A technical tutorial for the non-techy, Martin Hebrank, 2000.
- What is Gnutella?, gnutellanews.com
- How Freenet Works, gnutellanews.com
- A distributed decentralized information storage and retrieval system, Ian Clarke’s original paper on Freenet, 1999 (local copy).
- Freenet: A Distributed Anonymous Information Storage and Retrieval System, Ian Clarke et al.’s updated workshop paper, Proceedings of the Workshop on Design Issues in Anonymity and Unobservability, July 25-26, 2000 (local copy).
- IM and the IETF, David Greenfield, Network Magazine, February 05, 2003.
– Taming the IM Animal
- Integrating Messaging, Networkmagazineindia, Graeme K. Le Roux, September 2002.
- Instant Headache, Curtis E. Dalton & William Kannengeisser, InfosecurityMagazine, August 2002.
– Management, Not Banishment, Anne Saita
– Prying Eyes, Carl Weinschenk
- Security in Instant Messaging: Securing the Desktop with StormWatch Intrusion Prevention, OKENA, Inc., January 1, 2002. (local copy).
- P2P, OR NOT P2P?, AL BERG, Information Security, February 2001.
- Risk Exposure through Instant Messaging and Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Networks Internet Security Systems, Inc., April 1, 2002. (local copy).
- Instant Messaging and P2P: Find It, Stop It, Make It Safe, Sygate Technologies, January 1, 2002. (local copy).
- The New Peer-To-Peer Security Problems, Karen Heyman, PlanetIT, November 21, 2000.
- Security Concerns for Peer-to-Peer Software, KTSI’s White Paper, July 18, 2000 (local copy).
- Gnutella & Firewalls, gnutellanews.com, Last Update: May 21, 2000.
- Peer-to-peer software and security, M.E.Kabay, Network World, August 28, 2000.
- Making peer-to-peer secure, Dennis Fisher and Scott Berinato, eWEEK, November 12, 2000.
News about P2P
- I.B.M. Making a Commitment to Next Phase of the Internet, The New York Times, August 02, 2001.
- Carnivore ‘No Problem’ for New E-Mail Encryption, NewsFactor, June 15, 2001.
- From Revolution to Evolution, ZDNet, June 11, 2001.
- Peer-To-Peer Goes Corporate, Internet Week, May 2, 2001.
- Sun Pulls Back Curtain on Jxta, Internet Week, April 25, 2001.
- P2P Platform Can Be An Efficient Solution For Lean Times, Internet Week, April 17, 2001.
- Why P2P will take big biz by storm, ZDNet, April 17, 2001.
- A Human Face For Collaborative Apps, Information Week, Feb. 19, 2001.
- Peer-to-Peering Into the Future, Wired News, Feb 15, 2001.
- P2P takes the spotlight this week, eWEEK, Feb 12, 2001.
- Start-up Gives Microsoft’s Outlook Peer-to-Peer Face, Interactive Week, Feb 12, 2001.
- Peer-to-peer boosts web services, InforWorld.com, Feb 12, 2001.
- Gnutella Poses Security Risks, dmusic.com, Feb 09, 2001.
- Intel locks up security code for P2P, CNET News.com, February 8, 2001.
- Gnutella swapping cookies, too, CNET News.com, February 8, 2001.
- Gnutella puts up fight for Web elite, CNET News.com, January 29, 2001.
- Researchers to build peer-to-peer storage monsters, CNET News.com, January 9, 2001.
- Don’t Overlook The Infrastructure In P2P, InternetWeek, December 11, 2000.
- First it was B2B, then B2C; Now it’s P2P, eWEEK, November 6, 2000.
- The P2P myth, CNET News.com, October 26, 2000.
- Gnutella: Napster-Like File Sharing Network Breaking Down, WinPlanet, September 25, 2000.
- Intel’s Barrett sees IT future in peer-to-peer technology, ComputerWorld, August 23, 2000.